Definitions of canon:
- noun: a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired
- noun: a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- noun: a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy
Example: "The neoclassical canon"
- noun: a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
- noun: a priest who is a member of a cathedral chapter
- noun: a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8214)
Search for canon at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse