Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of burst:
- noun: a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason)
Example: "A burst of applause"
- noun: the act of exploding or bursting something
Example: "The burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
- noun: a sudden violent happening
Example: "An outburst of heavy rain"
- noun: rapid simultaneous discharge of firearms
- verb: break open or apart suddenly
Example: "The bubble burst"
- verb: break open or apart suddenly and forcefully
Example: "The dam burst"
- verb: emerge suddenly
Example: "The sun burst into view"
- verb: move suddenly, energetically, or violently
Example: "He burst out of the house into the cool night"
- verb: be in a state of movement or action
- verb: burst outward, usually with noise
- verb: force out or release suddenly and often violently something pent up
- verb: cause to burst
- adjective: suddenly and violently broken open especially from internal pressure (`busted' is an informal term for `burst')
Example: "A burst balloon"
Search for burst at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse