Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of broken:
- adjective: weakened and infirm
Example: "Broken health resulting from alcoholism"
- adjective: thrown into a state of disarray or confusion
Example: "Troops fleeing in broken ranks"
- adjective: imperfectly spoken or written
Example: "Broken English"
- adjective: subdued or brought low in condition or status
Example: "A broken man"
- adjective: topographically very uneven
Example: "Broken terrain"
- adjective: tamed or trained to obey
Example: "A horse broken to the saddle"
- adjective: physically and forcibly separated into pieces or cracked or split; or legally or emotionally destroyed
Example: "A broken mirror"
- adjective: (especially of promises or contracts) having been violated or disregarded
Example: "Broken (or unkept) promises"
- adjective: not continuous in space, time, or sequence or varying abruptly
Example: "Broken lines of defense"
- adjective: lacking a part or parts
Example: "A broken set of encyclopedia"
- adjective: discontinuous
Example: "Broken clouds"
- adjective: out of working order (`busted' is an informal substitute for `broken')
Example: "A broken washing machine"
- adjective: destroyed financially
Example: "The broken fortunes of the family"
Search for broken at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse