Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of breed:
- noun: a lineage or race of people
- noun: a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
Example: "He experimented on a particular breed of white rats"
- noun: a special lineage
Example: "A breed of Americans"
- noun: half-caste offspring of parents of different races (especially of white and Indian parents)
- verb: have young (animals)
Example: "Pandas rarely breed in captivity"
- verb: of plants or animals
Example: "She breeds dogs"
- verb: copulate with a female, used especially of horses
- verb: call forth
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #9154)
Search for breed at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...