Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of box:
- noun: a blow with the hand (usually on the ear)
Example: "I gave him a good box on the ear"
- noun: a (usually rectangular) container; may have a lid
Example: "He rummaged through a box of spare parts"
- noun: separate partitioned area in a public place for a few people
Example: "The sentry stayed in his box to avoid the cold"
- noun: private area in a theater or grandstand where a small group can watch the performance
Example: "The royal box was empty"
- noun: the driver's seat on a coach
Example: "An armed guard sat in the box with the driver"
- noun: any one of several designated areas on a ball field where the batter or catcher or coaches are positioned
Example: "The umpire warned the batter to stay in the batter's box"
- noun: evergreen shrubs or small trees
- noun: the quantity contained in a box
Example: "He gave her a box of chocolates"
- noun: a rectangular drawing
Example: "The flowchart contained many boxes"
- noun: a predicament from which a skillful or graceful escape is impossible
- verb: engage in a boxing match
- verb: hit with the fist
Example: "I'll box your ears!"
- verb: put into a box
Example: "Box the gift, please"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2775)
Search for box at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse