Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of boom:
- noun: any of various more-or-less horizontal spars or poles used to extend the foot of a sail or for handling cargo or in mooring
- noun: a pole carrying an overhead microphone projected over a film or tv set
- noun: a deep prolonged loud noise
- noun: a sudden happening that brings good fortune (as a sudden opportunity to make money)
Example: "The demand for testing has created a boom for those unregulated laboratories where boxes of specimen jars are processed lik an assembly line"
- noun: a state of economic prosperity
- verb: make a deep hollow sound
Example: "Her voice booms out the words of the song"
- verb: make a resonant sound, like artillery
Example: "His deep voice boomed through the hall"
- verb: grow stronger
Example: "The economy was booming"
- verb: be the case that thunder is being heard
- verb: hit hard
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #27963)
Search for boom at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...