Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of book:
- noun: physical objects consisting of a number of pages bound together
Example: "He used a large book as a doorstop"
- noun: a number of sheets (ticket or stamps etc.) bound together on one edge
Example: "He bought a book of stamps"
- noun: a major division of a long written composition
Example: "The book of Isaiah"
- noun: a written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together)
Example: "I am reading a good book on economics"
- noun: a collection of rules or prescribed standards on the basis of which decisions are made
Example: "They run things by the book around here"
- noun: a written version of a play or other dramatic composition; used in preparing for a performance
- noun: the sacred writings of the Christian religions
- noun: a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
Example: "His name is in all the recordbooks"
- noun: the sacred writings of Islam revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during his life at Mecca and Medina
- noun: a record in which commercial accounts are recorded
Example: "They got a subpoena to examine our books"
- verb: record a charge in a police register
Example: "The policeman booked her when she tried to solicit a man"
- verb: register in a hotel booker
- verb: engage for a performance
Example: "Her agent had booked her for several concerts in Tokyo"
- verb: arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
Example: "The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4833)
Search for book at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse