Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of bolt:
- noun: a sudden abandonment (as from a political party)
- noun: a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
- noun: the part of a lock that is engaged or withdrawn with a key
- noun: a sliding bar in a breech-loading firearm that ejects an empty cartridge and replaces it and closes the breech
- noun: a roll of cloth or wallpaper of a definite length
- noun: the act of moving with great haste
- noun: a discharge of lightning accompanied by thunder
- verb: make or roll into bolts
Example: "Bolt fabric"
- verb: swallow hastily
- verb: secure or lock with a bolt
Example: "Bolt the door"
- verb: move or jump suddenly
Example: "She bolted from her seat"
- verb: run away; usually includes taking something or somebody along
- verb: eat hastily without proper chewing
Example: "Don't bolt your food!"
- verb: leave suddenly and as if in a hurry
Example: "The listeners bolted when he discussed his strange ideas"
- adverb: in a rigid manner
Example: "Ge sat bolt upright"
- adverb: directly
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4034)
Search for bolt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse