Definitions of bob:
- noun: a short abrupt inclination (as of the head)
Example: "He gave me a short bob of acknowledgement"
- noun: a small float usually made of cork; attached to a fishing line
- noun: a hanging weight, especially a metal ball on a string
- noun: a hair style for women and children; a short haircut all around
- noun: a short or shortened tail of certain animals
- noun: a long racing sled (for 2 or more people) with a steering mechanism
- noun: a former monetary unit in Great Britain
- verb: cut hair in the style of a bob
Example: "Bernice bobs her hair these days!"
- verb: move up and down repeatedly
Example: "Her rucksack bobbed gently on her back"
- verb: make a curtsy; usually done only by girls and women; as a sign of respect
- verb: ride a bobsled
Example: "The boys bobbed down the hill screaming with pleasure"
- verb: remove or shorten the tail of an animal
- name: A male given name (common: 1 in 1818 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #266)
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #16626)
Search for bob at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse