Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of blue:
- noun: any of numerous small chiefly blue butterflies of the family Lycaenidae
- noun: blue clothing
Example: "She was wearing blue"
- noun: the color of the clear sky in the daytime
Example: "He had eyes of bright blue"
- noun: any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are blue
Example: "The Union army was a vast blue"
- noun: the sodium salt of amobarbital that is used as a barbiturate; used as a sedative and a hypnotic
- noun: the sky as viewed during daylight
Example: "He shot an arrow into the blue"
- noun: used to whiten laundry or hair or give it a bluish tinge
- verb: turn blue
- adjective: used to signify the Union forces in the Civil War (who wore blue uniforms)
Example: "A ragged blue line"
- adjective: suggestive of sexual impropriety
Example: "A blue movie"
- adjective: causing dejection
Example: "A blue day"
- adjective: having a color similar to that of a clear unclouded sky
Example: "October's bright blue weather- Helen Hunt Jackson"
- adjective: low in spirits
Example: "Lonely and blue in a strange city"
- adjective: characterized by profanity or cursing
Example: "Blue language"
- adjective: belonging to or characteristic of the nobility or aristocracy
Example: "A blue family"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 9090 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1162)
Search for blue at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...