Synonyms / Related
Definitions of bitter:
- noun: the taste experience when quinine or coffee is taken into the mouth
- noun: English term for a dry sharp-tasting ale with strong flavor of hops (usually on draft)
- noun: the property of having a harsh unpleasant taste
- verb: make bitter
- adjective: proceeding from or exhibiting great hostility or animosity
Example: "A bitter struggle"
- adjective: expressive of severe grief or regret
Example: "Shed bitter tears"
- adjective: one of the four basic taste sensations; sharp and disagreeable; like the taste of quinine
- adjective: very difficult to accept or bear
Example: "The bitter truth"
- adjective: causing a sharply painful or stinging sensation; used especially of cold
Example: "Bitter cold"
- adjective: marked by strong resentment or cynicism
Example: "Bitter about the divorce"
- adjective: harsh or corrosive in tone
Example: "Bitter words"
- adverb: extremely and sharply
Example: "It was bitterly cold"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #18335)
Search for bitter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...