Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of Begin:
- noun: Israeli statesman (born in Russia) who (as prime minister of Israel) negotiated a peace treaty with Anwar Sadat (then the president of Egypt) (1913-1992)
- verb: achieve or accomplish in the least degree, usually used in the negative
Example: "This economic measure doesn't even begin to deal with the problem of inflation"
- verb: begin an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object
Example: "Begin a cigar"
- verb: have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense
Example: "The DMZ begins right over the hill"
- verb: have a beginning characterized in some specified way
Example: "The novel begins with a murder"
- verb: have a beginning, of a temporal event
Example: "The company's Asia tour begins next month"
- verb: be the first item or point, constitute the beginning or start, come first in a series
Example: "The number 'one' begins the sequence"
- verb: set in motion, cause to start
Example: "Begin a new chapter in your life"
- verb: begin to speak or say
- verb: begin to speak, understand, read, and write a language
- verb: take the first step or steps in carrying out an action
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8329)
Search for Begin at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse