Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of bar:
- noun: a rigid piece of metal or wood; usually used as a fastening or obstruction or weapon
Example: "There were bars in the windows to prevent escape"
- noun: an obstruction (usually metal) placed at the top of a goal
Example: "It was an excellent kick but the ball hit the bar"
- noun: a counter where you can obtain food or drink
Example: "He bought a hot dog and a coke at the bar"
- noun: (law) a railing that encloses the part of the courtroom where the judges and lawyers sit and the case is tried
Example: "Spectators were not allowed past the bar"
- noun: a heating element in an electric fire
Example: "An electric fire with three bars"
- noun: a horizontal rod that serves as a support for gymnasts as they perform exercises
- noun: a submerged (or partly submerged) ridge in a river or along a shore
Example: "The boat ran aground on a submerged bar in the river"
- noun: (meteorology) a unit of pressure equal to a million dynes per square centimeter
Example: "Unfortunately some writers have used bar for one dyne per square centimeter"
- noun: the act of preventing
Example: "There was no bar against leaving"
- noun: a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter
Example: "He drowned his sorrows in whiskey at the bar"
- noun: a portable .30 caliber magazine-fed automatic rifle operated by gas pressure; used by United States troops in World War I and in World War II and in the Korean War
- noun: a block of solid substance (such as soap or wax)
Example: "A bar of chocolate"
- noun: musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats
Example: "The orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song"
- noun: the body of individuals qualified to practice law in a particular jurisdiction
Example: "He was admitted to the bar in New Jersey"
- verb: prevent from entering; keep out
Example: "He was barred from membership in the club"
- verb: secure with, or as if with, bars
Example: "He barred the door"
- verb: expel, as if by official decree
- verb: render unsuitable for passage
Example: "Barricade the streets"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #41405)
Search for bar at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse