Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of bank:
- noun: a flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning)
Example: "The plane went into a steep bank"
- noun: a building in which commercial banking is transacted
Example: "The bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
- noun: an arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers
Example: "He operated a bank of switches"
- noun: a long ridge or pile
Example: "A huge bank of earth"
- noun: sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water)
Example: "They pulled the canoe up on the bank"
- noun: a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
- noun: the funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games
Example: "He tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
- noun: a supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies)
- noun: a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities
Example: "He cashed a check at the bank"
- noun: a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home
Example: "The coin bank was empty"
- verb: tip laterally
Example: "The pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- verb: be in the banking business
- verb: act as the banker in a game or in gambling
- verb: do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank
Example: "Where do you bank in this town?"
- verb: cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning
Example: "Bank a fire"
- verb: enclose with a bank
Example: "Bank roads"
- verb: put into a bank account
- verb: have confidence or faith in
Example: "Bank on your good education"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8006)
Search for bank at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse