Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of ball:
- noun: a pitch that is not in the strike zone
Example: "He threw nine straight balls before the manager yanked him"
- noun: round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games
Example: "The ball travelled 90 mph on his serve"
- noun: a spherical object used as a plaything
Example: "He played with his rubber ball in the bathtub"
- noun: a more or less rounded anatomical body or mass; ball of the human foot or ball at the base of the thumb
Example: "He stood on the balls of his feet"
- noun: a lavish formal dance
- noun: a compact mass
Example: "A ball of mud caught him on the shoulder"
- noun: the people assembled at a lavish formal dance
Example: "The ball was already emptying out before the fire alarm sounded"
- noun: United States comedienne best known as the star of a popular television program (1911-1989)
- noun: an object with a spherical shape
Example: "A ball of fire"
- noun: a solid ball shot by a musket
Example: "They had to carry a ramrod as well as powder and ball"
- noun: a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of 9 players; teams take turns at bat trying to score run
Example: "He played baseball in high school"
- noun: one of the two male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens
Example: "She kicked him in the balls and got away"
- verb: form into a ball by winding or rolling
Example: "Ball wool"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 2941 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #320)
Search for ball at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse