Definitions of backward:
- adjective: retarded in intellectual development
- adjective: directed or facing toward the back or rear
Example: "A backward view"
- adjective: (used of temperament or behavior) marked by a retiring nature
Example: "A backward lover"
- adverb: in a manner or order or direction the reverse of normal
Example: "It's easy to get the `i' and the `e' backward in words like `seize' and `siege'"
- adverb: in or to or toward a past time
Example: "Lovers of the past looking fondly backward"
- adverb: at or to or toward the back or rear
Example: "Tripped when he stepped backward"
Search for backward at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse