Definitions of background:
- noun: (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear
- noun: a person's social heritage: previous experience or training
Example: "He is a lawyer with a sports background"
- noun: information that is essential to understanding a situation or problem
Example: "The embassy filled him in on the background of the incident"
- noun: the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground
Example: "He posed her against a background of rolling hills"
- noun: relatively unimportant or inconspicuous accompanying situation
Example: "When the rain came he could hear the sound of thunder in the background"
- noun: extraneous signals that can be confused with the phenomenon to be observed or measured
Example: "They got a bad connection and could hardly hear one another over the background signals"
- noun: scenery hung at back of stage
- noun: the state of the environment in which a situation exists
- verb: understate the importance or quality of
Search for background at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster