Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of attack:
- noun: a decisive manner of beginning a musical tone or phrase
- noun: an offensive move in a sport or game
Example: "They won the game with a 10-hit attack in the 9th inning"
- noun: the act of attacking
Example: "Attacks on women increased last year"
- noun: (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)
Example: "The attack began at dawn"
- noun: strong criticism
Example: "He published an unexpected attack on my work"
- noun: the onset of a corrosive or destructive process (as by a chemical agent)
Example: "The film was sensitive to attack by acids"
- noun: a sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition
Example: "An attack of diarrhea"
- noun: ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation
Example: "An attack on inflation"
- noun: intense adverse criticism
Example: "The government has come under attack"
- verb: begin to injure
Example: "The cancer cells are attacking his liver"
- verb: set to work upon; turn one's energies vigorously to a task
Example: "I attacked the problem as soon as I got out of bed"
- verb: attack in speech or writing
Example: "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
- verb: take the initiative and go on the offensive
Example: "The Serbs attacked the village at night"
- verb: launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with
Example: "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II"
- verb: attack someone physically or emotionally
Search for attack at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse