Definitions of assumption:
- noun: the act of taking possession of or power over something
Example: "His assumption of office coincided with the trouble in Cuba"
- noun: the act of assuming or taking for granted
Example: "Your assumption that I would agree was unwarranted"
- noun: a hypothesis that is taken for granted
Example: "Any society is built upon certain assumptions"
- noun: (Christianity) the taking up of the body and soul of the Virgin Mary when her earthly life had ended
- noun: celebration in the Roman Catholic Church of the Virgin Mary's being taken up into heaven when her earthly life ended; corresponds to the Dormition in the Eastern Orthodox church
- noun: a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn
Example: "On the assumption that he has been injured we can infer that he will not to play"
- noun: audacious (even arrogant) behavior that you have no right to
Search for assumption at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse