Definitions of assume:
- verb: seize and take control without authority and possibly with force; take as one's right or possession
Example: "He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town"
- verb: take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
Example: "When will the new President assume office?"
- verb: take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
Example: "She assumed strange manners"
- verb: take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
Example: "I assume his train was late"
- verb: Christianity, obsolete; take up someone's soul into heaven
Example: "This is the day when May was assumed into heaven"
- verb: occupy or take on
Example: "He assumes the lotus position"
- verb: make a pretence of
Example: "She assumed indifference, even though she was seething with anger"
- verb: take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
- verb: put clothing on one's body
Example: "The queen assumed the stately robes"
Search for assume at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse