Definitions of argument:
- noun: a variable in a logical or mathematical expression whose value determines the dependent variable; if f(x)=y, x is the independent variable
- noun: a summary of the subject or plot of a literary work or play or movie
Example: "The editor added the argument to the poem"
- noun: a fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true
Example: "It was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true"
- noun: a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
Example: "The argument over foreign aid goes on and on"
- noun: a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement
Example: "They were involved in a violent argument"
Search for argument at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse