Definitions of appeal:
- noun: (law) a legal proceeding in which the appellant resorts to a higher court for the purpose of obtaining a review of a lower court decision and a reversal of the lower court's judgment or the granting of a new trial
Example: "Their appeal was denied in the superior court"
- noun: attractiveness that interests or pleases or stimulates
Example: "His smile was part of his appeal to her"
- noun: request for a sum of money
Example: "An appeal to raise money for starving children"
- noun: earnest or urgent request
Example: "An appeal for help"
- verb: take a court case to a higher court for review
Example: "He was found guilty but appealed immediately"
- verb: challenge (a decision)
Example: "She appealed the verdict"
- verb: request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection
Example: "Appeal to somebody for help"
- verb: cite as an authority; resort to
Example: "I appealed to the law of 1900"
- verb: be attractive to
Example: "The idea of a vacation appeals to me"
Search for appeal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse