Definitions of answer:
- noun: a nonverbal reaction
Example: "His answer to any problem was to get drunk"
- noun: the principle pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
- noun: a statement (either spoken or written) that is made in reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
Example: "I waited several days for his answer"
- noun: the speech act of replying to a question
- noun: a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
Example: "The answers were in the back of the book"
- verb: match or correspond
Example: "The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
- verb: be liable or accountable
Example: "She must answer for her actions"
- verb: understand the meaning of
Example: "The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
- verb: give the correct answer or solution to
Example: "Answer a question"
- verb: react to a stimulus or command
Example: "The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"
- verb: respond to a signal
Example: "Answer the door"
- verb: give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
Example: "The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
- verb: reply or respond to
Example: "She didn't want to answer"
- verb: be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
Example: "This may answer her needs"
- verb: be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
Example: "A few words would answer"
Search for answer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse