Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of allow:
- verb: let have
Example: "Mandela was allowed few visitors in prison"
- verb: grant as a discount or in exchange
Example: "The camera store owner allowed me $50 on my old camera"
- verb: allow or plan for a certain possibility; concede the truth or validity of something
Example: "I allow for this possibility"
- verb: give or assign a share of money or time to a particular person or cause
- verb: allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
Example: "We don't allow dogs here"
- verb: make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen
Example: "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"
- verb: allow the other (baseball) team to score
- verb: afford possibility
Example: "This short story allows of several different interpretations"
- verb: consent to, give permission
Example: "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
- verb: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain
Example: "The evidence allows only one conclusion"
Search for allow at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse