Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of advance:
- noun: increase in price or value
Example: "The news caused a general advance on the stock market"
- noun: an amount paid before it is earned
- noun: a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others
Example: "She rejected his advances"
- noun: a change for the better; progress in development
- noun: a movement forward
- noun: the act of moving forward toward a goal
- verb: pay in advance
Example: "Can you advance me some money?"
- verb: develop further
- verb: bring forward for consideration or acceptance
Example: "Advance an argument"
- verb: rise in rate or price
- verb: move forward, also in the metaphorical sense
- verb: cause to move forward
- verb: move forward
Example: "We have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
- verb: contribute to the progress or growth of
- verb: increase or raise
- verb: obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
- verb: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
Example: "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"
- verb: develop in a positive way
Search for advance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...