Definitions of adopt:
- verb: take up and practice as one's own
- verb: choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans
- verb: take into one's family
Example: "They adopted two children from Nicaragua"
- verb: take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
- verb: take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
Example: "He adopted an air of superiority"
- verb: take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own
Example: "They adopted the Jewish faith"
- verb: put into dramatic form
Example: "Adopt a book for a screenplay"
Search for adopt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse