Definitions of admit:
- verb: allow participation in or the right to be part of; permit to exercise the rights, functions, and responsibilities of
Example: "Admit someone to the profession"
- verb: allow to enter; grant entry to
Example: "We cannot admit non-members into our club"
- verb: serve as a means of entrance
Example: "This ticket will admit one adult to the show"
- verb: give access or entrance to
Example: "The French doors admit onto the yard"
- verb: afford possibility
Example: "This problem admits of no solution"
- verb: declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of
Example: "He admitted his errors"
- verb: admit into a group or community
Example: "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member"
- verb: have room for; hold without crowding
Example: "The theater admits 300 people"
Search for admit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse