Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of active:
- noun: a person devoted to the active life
- noun: the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb
Example: "`The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice"
- noun: chemical agent capable of activity
- adjective: taking part in an activity
Example: "An active member of the club"
- adjective: being in physical motion
Example: "Active fish in the aquarium"
- adjective: engaged in or ready for military or naval operations
Example: "On active duty"
- adjective: characterized by energetic activity
Example: "An active toddler"
- adjective: engaged in full-time work
Example: "Active duty"
- adjective: full of activity or engaged in continuous activity
Example: "An active seaport"
- adjective: tending to become more severe or wider in scope
Example: "Active tuberculosis"
- adjective: disposed to take action or effectuate change
Example: "A director who takes an active interest in corporate operations"
- adjective: producing activity or change
- adjective: (of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt
Example: "Active volcanos"
- adjective: expressing action rather than a state of being; used of verbs (e.g. `to run') and participial adjectives (e.g. `running' in `running water')
- adjective: expressing that the subject of the sentence has the semantic function of actor
Example: "Hemingway favors active constructions"
- adjective: exerting influence or producing an effect
Example: "An active ingredient"
- adjective: of the sun; characterized by a high level activity in sunspots and flares and radio emissions
- adjective: characterized by energetic bodily activity
Example: "Tennis is an active sport"
- adjective: in operation
Example: "An active tradition"
Search for active at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse