Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of action:
- noun: something done (usually as opposed to something said)
Example: "There were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
- noun: the most important or interesting work or activity in a specific area or field
Example: "The action is no longer in technology stocks but in municipal bonds"
- noun: an act by a government body or supranational organization
Example: "Recent federal action undermined the segregationist position"
- noun: the operating part that transmits power to a mechanism
Example: "The piano had a very stiff action"
- noun: the trait of being active and energetic and forceful
Example: "A man of action"
- noun: the series of events that form a plot
Example: "His novels always have a lot of action"
- noun: the state of being active
Example: "He is out of action"
- noun: a military engagement
Example: "He saw action in Korea"
- noun: a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong
- noun: a process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings)
Example: "The action of natural forces"
- verb: institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against
Example: "She actioned the company for discrimination"
- verb: put in effect
Example: "He actioned the operation"
Search for action at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse