Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of act:
- noun: something that people do or cause to happen
- noun: a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body
- noun: a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
Example: "He did his act three times every evening"
- noun: a subdivision of a play or opera or ballet
- noun: a manifestation of insincerity
Example: "He put on quite an act for her benefit"
- verb: perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
Example: "Think before you act"
- verb: be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
- verb: be suitable for theatrical performance
Example: "This scene acts well"
- verb: discharge one's duties
Example: "She acts as the chair"
- verb: behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
Example: "You should act like an adult"
- verb: play a role or part
Example: "She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"
- verb: perform on a stage or theater
Example: "She acts in this play"
- verb: pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
Example: "He acted the idiot"
- verb: have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
Example: "How does your idea work in practice?"
- verb: behave unnaturally or affectedly
Example: "She's just acting"
Search for act at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse