Definitions of abstract:
- noun: a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance
Example: "He loved her only in the abstract--not in person"
- noun: a sketchy summary of the main points of an argument or theory
- verb: consider a concept without thinking of a specific example; consider abstractly or theoretically
- verb: consider apart from a particular case or instance
Example: "Let's abstract away from this particular example"
- verb: give an abstract (of)
- verb: make off with belongings of others
- adjective: not representing or imitating external reality or the objects of nature
Example: "A large abstract painting"
- adjective: existing only in the mind; separated from embodiment
Example: "Abstract words like `truth' and `justice'"
- adjective: dealing with a subject in the abstract without practical purpose or intention
Example: "Abstract reasoning"
- adjective: based on specialized theory
Search for abstract at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse